Thursday, August 6, 2015

Words from the Artist is a series of interviews with various artist members of Houston Art Showcase by blog editor Ruth Armas

With no claim to any single art style, Helena Gijsbers van Wijk simply lives out her passion every day for creating art. Her inexhaustible pursuit in creative expression for meaning of the environment around her invites us to also find meaning in the world and societies we live in.


"Motherhood" 6 ½ x 24 x 8”, ceramics – 2015
Helena Gijsbers van Wijk


Helena, would you like to introduce yourself?

My name is Helena Gijsbers van Wijk. I was born and grew up in Czech Republic (then it was Czechoslovakia). From early childhood I attended music and art classes at a local art school. I also learned a lot about visual arts from my mother, who was a very gifted amateur painter. Later on I studied music and visual arts, and I earned my MFA from Academy of Fine Arts in Prague. 
I moved to the USA in 1990, and in 1991 I landed in Houston. I have been maintaining a studio at the Houston Foundry for almost 10 years now, and that’s where I spend most of my time.


Can you describe your work for us?

I usually say that I am mainly a painter and a ceramist, but the truth is that I work in a wide range of media. I do a lot of assemblages and mixed media pieces. A couple of times I even tried my hand at installation. I love trying new media, even though ceramic sculpture and painting remain probably my main focus. 


What attracts you to creating art, and what art style do you prefer?

For me creating art is not a matter of attraction; it’s something that I have to do. That’s who I am. I don’t subscribe to any specific style.  For me style depends on the piece and what I am trying to achieve. I feel like styles are a little outdated, a thing of the past. A lot of contemporary artists do not worry about what style they are working in. The concept and the process are to me the most important things. 


"Lifesource" 7 x 22 x 13”, stoneware – 2014
Helena Gijsbers van Wijk


What does creativity mean to you?

Well, you cannot be an artist without being creative. That’s one of the main conditions. But creativity is not just for artists; people working in any field need creativity, because creativity enables problem-solving, and coming up with new solutions, finding possibilities where there seemed to be none. It means finding new approaches and not sticking to old sure ways.


What kind of ritual or routine do you have before you begin a project?

I don’t really have any ritual. Sometimes I might do some sketches or try out certain color combinations. I might do research on the topic or look for images on the internet, but that all depends on the type of project.


Tell us about your favorite works and why you remember them?

There are tons of great works and great artists that I love and admire. There is a number of painters that I find very inspiring, like Lucien Freud, Francis Bacon, Marlene Dumas, Jenny Saville, Wangechi Mutu, etc. I also like very much sculptor David Altmejd. The work of these artists really speaks to me.


What is the message that you try to communicate through your art?

I don’t know if I can say that my work has a particular message. There is a lot of different ideas in my head and a lot of issues I would like to address at any given time. Some of these ideas end up as a finished artwork, and some don’t. For some ideas it takes years to come to fruition.
I am and always have been interested in socio-political topics, even though not all of my work can be labeled as “political”. Sometimes these issues are hidden in the piece and not so obvious at first sight (like for instance my Torso Series or the clay female figures). Sometimes I feel very strongly about an issue but it doesn’t lend itself easily to artistic interpretation.
Ultimately, it is up to the viewers to find something that speaks to them in the work. Artists don’t really have any control over it. All I am trying to achieve is to make the viewer pause and think.


What medium would you like to explore next and why?

This past spring I had an opportunity (thanks to Aurora Residency Program) to do my first public installation – Tintinnabula. (I have done some other ones before but only in my studio.) I would definitely like to explore this medium more. It gives the artist an opportunity to present more complex ideas than a singular artwork. 



  





















"Tintinnabula” approximately 8’x 5’x 5’ – 2015
Helena Gijsbers van Wijk 


Lastly, what’s the best advice you've received?

One advice that I received many years ago from Annabeth Rosen during her workshop was, “Go to the studio every day even if you don’t feel like it or if you have a hangover. There is always something to do there.
And the second one (I don’t remember who said it) is to devote at least 20 minutes a day to promote and further your artistic practice.
I think about these two things quite often.




Helena, you’ve given us an insight about your profession and your philosophy which has been inspiring and practical. Undoubtedly, you are very dedicated to what you do and relentless in making it a daily practice to nurture yourself as an artist. Your approach to new ideas, as well as your flexibility to the process in working with diverse forms of media based on the needs of the project are examples that we can learn from. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas about yourself as an artist and your work.

Helena’s work will be featured in the main gallery of The Jung Center in 2016. Specific information regarding this event will be provided at a future date. To stay informed and to see more of her work, please visit her artist website.



No comments:

Post a Comment