Sunday, April 19, 2015

Words from the Artist

Words from the Artist is a series of interviews with various artist members of Houston Art Showcase by blog editor Ruth Armas. 

As an enthusiast of visual art, I always like to know a little more about the artist who creates it. In observing a piece, it’s often the case that I’m left with questions about the artist and how he or she came to the conclusion of their work that now lives on a canvas, expressed as a three dimensional object, captured in a photograph, etc. Needless to say, art comes in all different shapes, colors, and sizes, (just to list a few of the primary elements) and then brought to life through the individual style and technique of the artist. Today, I’m sharing a little insight from my interview with Rodrigo Aguilera. He is the artist involved with using those same elements mentioned and creating art with his converging style of abstract and realism. 


"Self Portrait" 30" x 24" Mixed Media on Canvas - 2015
Rodrigo Aguilera




Rodrigo, would you like to introduce yourself?

Hello… I am Rodrigo Aguilera, originally from Bogota, Colombia. I have been living and working in Houston for the past 30 years.  I have my degree in painting from the Superior Academy of Arts in Bogota Colombia of the Francisco Jose de Caldas University.  Also, I have a background in graphic design from EL SENA in Colombia. I have been drawing and painting all of my life. This is my passion.

Can you describe your work for us?

MY ARTIST STATEMENT…

Brightly colored and organic shapes, painting a combination of abstract and realism. 
When viewers watch my paintings they can see at first instance one large image. After a closer look they will recognize hundreds of small colored organic shapes. That is very pleasing to my eye.
For me, color on the canvas is the most important element. I play with the pigments creating contrast in different hues, tones, tints, values, and saturation in multiple layers of acrylic colors, oils, and the inclusion of thread on the canvas. I hope that the person experiencing my paintings will feel a delight, similar to that of listening to music.
What attracts you to abstract art?

As you read in my statement, it is both abstract and realistic at the same time. The abstract part attracts me because of the harmonies of color. I relate it very much with music. In this case, it is visual music. 


"Barb" 30" x 24" Mixed Media on Canvas - 2015
Rodrigo Aguilera



Can you tell us what “being creative” means to you and when you discovered it was something you had to do?

Being creative to me means inspiration. Therefore, inspiration is being connected with the feeling of harmony; a pleasant and lovely motivation. And yes, I have to do it because I want people to enjoy it. People need it.

What kind of routine or ritual do you have before you begin a project? Do you have a creative cycle or process?

My first approach is to decide my subject matter. Usually, it is the portrait such as a contemporary portrait based on a photograph. The expression of the eyes in my model has to see me in the picture. I don't think I have a creative cycle, but yes, I have a process. 

Tell us about one of your favorite works and why you remember it?

For me, very often my favorite one is the most recent one. Currently, my favorite would be my self-portrait. A self-portrait is a tradition in painting in the history of art. It is a challenge where I hope to demonstrate talent, mastery, and dominion in order to say something to people.

Do you have a general message that you try to communicate with your art?

My general message would be in one word… harmony.

What medium would you like to explore next and why?

Right now, it is mixed media with acrylic, oil, and thread. I think I will continue exploring with these for a while.

"Jennifer" 30" x 30" Mixed Media on Canvas - 2015
Rodrigo Aguilera


Lastly, what’s the best advice you've received, or that you can give us about how to nurture creativity?

To set our minds with the spiritual. By spiritual, I mean all good, peaceful, pleasant, and joyous things. Pray…why not.


Thank you Rodrigo for taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas about yourself as an artist and your work. You stated that you have a process, and I would agree that creating art not only includes a skill set to attempt and follow through with the tangible aspect or the product, but also as the process is the intangible that precedes the tangible; a thought, an emotion, or "being connected," as you say, that comes as the inspiration.
You can see and enjoy more of Rodrigo’s work at his artist website

If you liked this post and found it helpful, please leave a comment and share with others to help support Houston Art Showcase artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment